Excellent reminder from HBR to focus on doing one thing well
Tell the truth: Do you answer email during conference calls (and sometimes even during calls with one other person)? Do you bring your laptop to meetings and then pretend you’re taking notes while you surf the net? Do you eat lunch at your desk? Do you make calls while you’re driving, and even send the occasional text, even though you know you shouldn’t?
Well, sometimes… The post finishes with some suggestions for managers
- Maintain meeting discipline.
- Stop demanding or expecting instant responsiveness at every moment of the day.
- Encourage renewal….It’s also up to individuals to set their own boundaries.
- Do the most important thing first in the morning
- Establish regular, scheduled times to think more long term, creatively, or strategically
- Take real and regular vacations.